- BRIDGE PROBLEM & CRITERIA:
- 1 week maximum road closure from demolition to opening for traffic
- 2 day maximum bridge superstructure construction schedule
- LRFD HL93 loadings, Crash Tested Guide Railings and meeting the hydraulics of the existing superstructure.
- Pre fabricated, Stress Laminated Glu Lam Deck.
For a County in New Jersey that is exactly what was chosen for this 42'-0 bridge span. The bridge utilizes treated glued laminated beams placed side by side with field installed transverse stressing rods, stressed to a predetermined level. Using stressed beams instead of systems like a stringer bridge with transverse deck, allow the depth of structure to be kept to a minimum, matching the previous structures depth.
The bridge is designed with a 10° skew to align with the stream profile. Stress laminated decks require that the stressing rods are placed perpendicular to the bridge structure. Each beam had to have different fabrication performed due to them being offset from the adjacent beams.
All the holes were predrilled at the plant prior to pressure treatment.
Within the first day, all beams were set and aligned. The high strength rods were installed then stressed.
The second day was left to assemble the Crash Tested guide railing and anchor the bridge to the concrete abutments.